I am often asked what an owner should do to grow their horse business. While the priorities for each individual horse business will vary, this is a checklist to make sure you are active in these areas
- Know where you are going
The owner, manager or president should have a clear and compelling written vision of what their horse business will look like in 2, 5 and 10 years.
- This vision should be broken down into smaller written goals working towards that vision for 3 month, 6 month and 12 months ahead working towards the vision.
- There should be concrete 30 day action plans working towards the short term 3 month goal.
- Take action
The owner, manager or president should plan their day before they start.
- The most important tasks of the day should be done first.
- On every part of your business, the owner, manager or president should spend most of their day doing the tasks they perform better than anyone else, delegating the rest.
- The owner, manager or president should have a daily focus on sales and marketing, making this a high priority.
- Every member of the business or club committee should share the vision and be working as a team towards the same outcomes.
- The owner, manager or president should have a sound up to date knowledge of their particular field of equine business as well as a knowledge of their similarities and differencesof their major competitors.
- The owner, manager or president should be continually improving their business skills including sales and marketing.
- If one part of their business isn’t profitable, they will be prepared to it if doesn’t work, they will be prepared to continue to try until something works.
- They are confident and strong, regardless of competition as well as business skills and be constantly improving them.
- Forms and procedures.
- Exit plan – Switch off from work and truly relax, when their work day is done.
- Spend at least 1 hour each week studying their industry, competition and business skills.
- Keep their work environment neat and organized.
- Act with urgency, trying lots of stuff until they find a way that works.
- Keep their personal confidence strong, regardless of current circumstances