- “How could THAT horse win, didn’t the judges see that all the changes to the left were late behind”
- “She couldn’t sit to the trot to save herself”
- “Who owns that umbrella? It is scaring my horse!”
Instead, we would remain in a far happier state of mind if we were more appreciative of other horse/ rider combinations
“I liked the way he rode when he corrected that resistance/ evasion”
“Every time I have seen that combination they have continued to improve”
“Wow it is raining, what a great opportunity to expose my horse to wet conditions”
If you tend to get tense and nervous at competitions, try using these strategies
- Remember that people have different reasons for riding at the competition and every-one was a beginner once
- Use competitions as part of your horses training, and take advantage of exposing him to different situations.
- If you start to feel tense, look around you for things to appreciate and be grateful
Above all, remember that you compete because you enjoy it!